Galatians 6:1-2 – Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
- We will have to embrace that success equals faithfulness
Galatians 5:25 – Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit
- “Step” – to proceed in a row as the march of a soldier
- The issue is not just the individual, but also the local church
Galatians 6:15-16 – For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And as for all who walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.
- Paul is instructing believers to mend what is broken
Galatians 5:23 – the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
Proverbs 29:11 – A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.
Ephesians 4:29 – Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Proverbs 19:11 – A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense.
- “Caught” – a boat that was suddenly taken by waves and will be dashed against the rocks
- Paul is describing destruction by sin
- Paul focuses on sexual immorality, idolatry, and lack of self-control
Galatians 5:19-21 – The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- 1 John 3:9 – No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.
Galatians 6:1 – But watch yourselves, or you too may be tempted.
- The big principle here is: don’t help out if you’ll fall in
The way to avoid pride as you confront a brother about his sin is to act only in the power of the Spirit. Look to yourself lest you fall prey to the temptation to rely on yourself, or exalt yourself. Remember you are a basket case of sin apart from God’s gracious Spirit. – John Piper
Galatians 6:2 – Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.