Bible Verses: 2 Chronicles 15
The attitude: The prophet encouraged Asa to be intentional about everything he did.
Here’s something to be intentional about: “If you seek God, he will be found by you.”
Asa intentionally decided to courageously seek God. He “took courage.”
Courage is more of a behavior than an emotion! It is intentionally doing what is right, even when it’s difficult.
INTENTIONAL CHANGES THAT ASA MADE:
- He purposely removed idols and distractions. What are my idols and distractions?
- He deliberately deposed his own Grandmother and utterly destroyed her idol. Who do I need to remove from my life? Or, who distracts me from Jesus?
- He willfully repaired the Altar. What do I need to repair in my relationship with God?
- He consciously assembled God’s people. How am I gathering with God’s people?
Reality: deciding to follow God has a cost, and takes commitment.
It’s time for you to make an intentional decision.
Growth Group prep
- Reread the Tozer quote, above. Does God want to be wanted because he needs us? Or because of a different reason, possible a reason that benefits us?
- Tozer calls complacency a deadly foe of Spiritual growth. What would be the opposite of that sentence?
- Look at the four intentional changes that Asa made: what would be an example of each from your life?
- Look at the four intentional changes that Asa made. Which of these did your parents teach or live and which did they not? Do you think that aids in you accomplishing those or not?